It seems as it was just a few months ago we were welcoming 2008 and were looking forward to all the prospects it had to offer. Isn't it just scary has fast time seems to be going by these days? I wonder if it has always been like this and I wasn't paying attention? Or is it more concerning now that I see the reality of old age now facing my in a few decades? Whatever it is, it seems time has hasten its steps.
the year that was 2008 has been quite an eventful year, ranging from its fair share of good to an extreme on the other end of the scale, where things have turned to the worse. Hmm, lets take a moment to flashback at some (very few... don't weant to bore or depress you) of the biggest events for the year, well from my point of view. In 2008:
- World oil prices sored to the highest it has been in many years, probably the highest most of us has ever seen it. This triggered several waves in the world economy and the behaviour of our societies, We saw a rise in many manufactured commodities, less travelling and the downsizing of vehicles as people opted for smaller more energy efficient vehicles. On the other hand, thankfully gas prices have also plummeted to tolerable rates by the end of the year.
- The entire world experienced the greatest economic downturn in ages with the crash of so many large financial institutions in the world worlds strongest economies. Consumer spending has gone down, while unemployment rose sharply as many companies across varied industries closed their doors. The entire world seems to be in a recession as even the most commercial holiday of the year lost its mojo.
- Locally, the infamous, 'poor people saviour', Cash Plus became more like Cash Minus as it crashed just like all pyramid schemes. Event though it dawned the clothing of a legitimate and plausible business with investors, it showed its true colours when it experienced pressure from the financial regulatory authority. Many Jamaicans lost thousands, millions of dollars, and even everything they owned.
- On a more positive note though, the world witnessed what seemed impossible, the first black president of the United States of America. A feat that many though they would never live to see, an event ushered by one the most sensational and most watched election campaign in our modern history.
- Bolt and the Jamaica team strike Gold at the 2008 Olympics several times! The most gold medals Jamaica has ever claimed. (Thanks to Pepper. How could I forget this.... shame one me) - This point added on o7/02/2009.
Now it's 2009, another year with many possibilities, but one preceded with challenges and a gloomy outlook based on the events of last year. Already many religious leaders and self proclaimed prophets have issued many prophecies 2009, economic and financial outlooks are mixed even though they lean heavily on the gloomy side, the environmentalists are preaching environmental doom even more, and all seems to be going downhill at this point. There is no doubt that things are rough and that they will get rougher in this new year. But it is a new year, a year with many possibilities and opportunities despite the challenges ahead. May you all realize your dreams and make the best of the new year, take each challenge step by step, with the help of God and enjoy each victory to the fullest, savouring every moment. Keep loving and appreciate your friends and family as much as you can as we chart our way in our short journey in this maze called life.