Subscribe

Click below subscribe to my RSS


OR



Powered by FeedBlitz

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Pastor Brown's Artistic House

The view of Pastor Brown's house and park taken from the main road
Several weeks ago on my way to Portland I again saw one of the most unusual houses I've ever seen, a site I normally see while traversing the route between Kingston and Port Antonio. However, as I had the time and my trusted camera in hand I decided to stop, for the first, to take a closer look at what seems like a prominent landmark along that route.

Some of the structures in Pastor Brown's attraction

Another view of the museum/park along the main road

A photo of Pastor Brown's throne

Wooden animal figure in Pastor Brown's park
I pulled over on a somewhat narrow soft shoulder long the narrow winding road of Black Hill district in Portland, and went over to investigate the very colourful house across the valley and the equally colourful and interesting structures and signs that lined the roadside in front of the house. There were several colourful items in what seemed to be a mini museum with many colourful creations including a colourful bench, wooden figures depicting different animals, an impressive structure that looks like a combination of a throne and a gazebo, several other unusual pieces, seemingly cryptic signage and of course two Jamaican flags.

Pastor Brown posing in his throne structure

Pastor Winston Brown posing proudly beside his photo that he took at the Royal Palace in London
While I was there looking and taking a few photos I heard a voice beckoning to me from one end of this makeshift roadside museum. It was an elderly man clad in a light blue bush jacket and dress pants with a full head of grey hair signifying his crown of old age. He introduced himself to me as Pastor Winston Brown and proceeded to give me a tour of his mini park and tourist attraction. The 81 year old man walked me through his handy work like a proud father as he explained his masterpieces to me and told me of his journey to London England where he met the Queen during his younger years. He was especially proud of his prominently displayed photo which documented his trip to London and the Royal Palace. But the tour didn't end there!

A view of Pastor Brown's unusual house from the foot bridge

Pastor Brown's colourful and unusual house
After showing me some of his art work and posing for a few pics beside them, Pastor brown invited me to take a closer look at his very colourful and unusual house. So a bit apprehensively I followed him down the valley and crossed over the small spring on a narrow foot bridge that he himself built. The unique house sits on the opposite side of the valley and overlooks his mini park and the main road. This impressive two story building is reminiscent of a castle and is adorned with many colourful tiles, drawings, including one of a rainbow and other decorations which set this house apart from any other house I have ever seen! He also introduced me to his wife who was sitting on the veranda of the house looking on. They were both kind enough to pose for a photo while they told me more about their fascinating place of abode. 

Pastor Brown and his wife posing with two of his photos
After giving them a "smalls" I told them farewell and left behind a true testament of pure Jamaican creativity, however eccentric it may be. So if you are on your way to Port Antonio be sure to look out for this striking house along the Black Hill main road, it shouldn't be hard to spot!

6 commented:

this is wonderful! I am glad you took the time and stopped. Thank you.

Great that you captured apart of history before Hurricane Sandy Stunner. Great photos as usual. Looking forward to a possible after.

An interesting story and beautiful pics. I always thought it was an "Obeah Yard"...go figure. I've missed being Stunned by your pics. Emancipation has its drawbacks :)

...and I thot it was a rastaman yaad.... nice that you spent some time with the older folk, they are so often ignored....

This is amazing. It's one of the reasons I love Jamaica. I grew up creatively thanks to Jamdown.