Subscribe

Click below subscribe to my RSS


OR



Powered by FeedBlitz

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Climb to Mystic Mountain

The view from Mystic Mountain
A few months ago I went on a trip to the North Coast of Jamaica and I finally got to make a stop at Mystic Mountain, located just outside of the resort town of Ocho Rios. As I drove into the parking area I immediately wondered where was the driveway up to the top of Mystic Mountain, but my answer was soon to come. The only way to get to Mystic Mountain was via the Mystic Mountain Sky Explorer, which is a cable driven chair lift that continuously shuttle patrons from the base of the property to the very top. So with that only option available I hopped on to the lift, literally, and I was on my way! But what would I expect?

The starting point of the Sky Explorer lift
The canopy view of the Sky Explorer
If you are afraid of heights this ride will certainly prove to be a challenge as it takes you several feet above the ground above the canopy formed by very tall trees, some of which tower to the height of the chairs and even taller. This is not a brief ride so closing your eyes and hoping to arrive to the top in a few minutes will not work as the ride is fifteen minutes above ground. However, closing your eyes would only cause you to miss out on the lovely view of the town of Ocho Rios down below and the serenity of being way above the trees being serenaded by the chirps of tropical birds. There is also a point in the ride where you can have your photo taken with an option to purchase at the end of the ride. My description of the Mystic Mountain Sky Explorer is just a bit to wet your appetite, now here is the main course, a video clip of my ride to Mystic Mountain!



The Sky Explorer ride to the top of Mystic Mountain was certainly worth the trip as the location offered a breathtaking view of the the blue Caribbean Sea and the resort town of Ocho Rios nestled below. The view expands along the coastline heading to the neighbouring parish of St. Mary and gives testament to why Jamaica is called aa land of wood and water as lush greenery extends as far as the eyes can see.

View from one of the windows at the Mystic Mountain restaurant
Coffee served at Mystic Mountain restaurant
After making my way up to the to of Mystic Mountain via the Sky Explorer I had certainly worked up an appetite and headed straight for the restaurant to see what they had to delight the palate while I enjoyed the brilliant view. I decided to start off with some Blue Mountain coffee since I hadn't eaten in a while but I was utterly and extremely disappointed when I was told that they only had instant coffee! Now this is a big minus for Mystic Mountain as anyone who knows me knows I love my freshly brewed Blue Mountain coffee! I certainly did not expect such a disappointment at a famous attraction such as Mystic Mountain but I hope they have repented of their err and are now serving real brewed coffee.

Lamb Burger served with Sweet Potato Fries
After combing through the menu I decided to try the lamb burger, the sweet potato fries that comes along with it and a cold Red Stripe Beer. The lamb burger was certainly different from the regular burger that I am accustomed to as it had a really gamey taste, must have been a ram! However, the sweet potato fries were delicious and definitely something I would recommend as a must have at Mystic Mountain. I finished off with dessert, a colourful combination of vanilla ice cream and diced fruits served in a stylish glass.

Red Stripe Beer served cold
The dessert I had at the Mystic Mountain restaurant
There are other features of Mystic Mountain that I did not explore such as the Bobsled, Canopy Zip Lining, Infinity Edge Pool and the Mystic Water Slide. Hopefully I will get to return to experience these other attractions at Mystic Mountain so I will get the full Mystic experience.

3 commented:

Lamb burger? hmmm maybe on the second trip!

literally LOL @ your Ram burger!

Stunner, could you give a price range for the activities including food you spent there