Subscribe

Click below subscribe to my RSS


OR



Powered by FeedBlitz

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

2006 - What The New Year Symbolizes

2006
"Happy new year!" These words have been on the tongues of so many people, in countless emails and on numerous blogs these past few days. The new year for some people signals a fresh start, a new beginning. For some it commences the writing of new year's resolutions, goals and plans that are to be accomplished during the course of the new year. For others it is just another year, another period in their lives, another twelve months of trying to survive, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Many persons celebrate this occasion in different ways. These celebrations rage from: church services, called "Watch-night Service" here in Jamaica, the extravagant "New Years Ball", and elaborate fireworks that light up the night sky. They welcome the new year and anticipate what it may bring.

To me the new year symbolizes a new start. An opportunity to have a new beginning in the book of my life. I personally don't believe in the whole New Year's Resolution idea. However, at the beginning of the year I try to set a few goals for the year. After all, life is like a out-of-control car, speeding down a hill, without some form of plan. So I try to set some goals and figure out how to accomplish them. The new year has the potential for me to seize more opportunities to better myself, improve my personality and help others in their journey of life. Life has it's ups and downs and the new year is no different. I brace myself for the struggles, the disappointments, the mental and emotional anguish as well as the physical strain that will inevitably come with the progression of a new year. However, I look forward to the wonderful surprises ahead, the achievement of my goals, new and maturing friendships, wonderful experiences and waking up alive and healthy every morning.

Overall, I could summarize a new year as, a fresh beginning with endless possibilities, a combination of disappointments and heart-breaks, triumphs over adversities and joyful moments. My advise to anyone is: to enjoy every moment of your life, rely on God for strength, treat yourself and just live! All the best for the new Year!

That's my thoughts on what the new year signifies. What does the new year mean to you?

15 commented:

A fresh start and an opportunity to set some goals.I welcome each new year with a bit of trepidation though since I never know what is going to happen.

I like your summary and advice. Couldn't have put it better myself. :)

"To me the new year symbolizes a new start. An opportunity to have a new beginning in the book of my life. I personally don't believe in the whole New Year's Resolution idea. However, at the beginning of the year I try to set a few goals for the year."

My sentiments exactly.

(Sorry, I don't have anything original to say.)

Yet another chance for a massive "do-over". I might even get it right this time. :)

Another year to live life to the fullest with new goals, new experiences, new dreams ... just more love and happiness!

It means "Ra$$! I am getting old, bwoy! I soon be pushing up daisies... oh yes, is Yard dis... I soon be pushing up some goodly sensimilla!"

It means "Ra$$! All dem gyal who was 13 last year are of age now! Kewl!".

Or should that be 16? I bet the politrickshans haven't upped the age of consent yet! Vote PNP, rasta!

I couldn't have said it any better!

You summed it up excellently.

The New Year for me is a new start just like you said.

So far I can't complain....get back to me a few months down the road to see if my outlook has changed. ~lol~

~Smooches~

NY means just about nothing to me. If something is important enough to do, its important enough to do immediately w/o saving it up for a special day.

imagine my shock: had a major epiphany NY eve and my life has been running at breakneck speed for last 4 days. New beginning? several!!!

who'd a thunk it? mystifying...

ok, 5 days in your time zone, but I'm still on #4!

I can see with some of this Stunner. Me and resolution things just don't work though. Hope 2006 is good though.

Well stated thoughts. Always a fres start a clean slate to right the wrongs of last year and most of al to live and let live

I've never been a fan of NY resolutions. Though, I have kept my last one for years. "No more New Years resolutions"

For some reason spring always seems more like the start of a new year to me.

Your outlook is very simnilar to mine. Happy New Year to you!!!