Subscribe

Click below subscribe to my RSS


OR



Powered by FeedBlitz

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Closed!


It's now even more official than it was before when I saw the news on TV, Circuit City and circuitcity.com is closing down. I actually believed when I saw the news, but the reality really hit me today when I went searching the idea of the price for a new printer. I went on their website at circuitcity.com only to find the page in the picture above with the opening statement below.

Circuit City would like to thank all of the customers who have shopped with us over the past 60 years. Unfortunately, we announced on January 16, 2009, that we are going out of business.

Please check back later for updates about the status of our website. In the meantime, we hope the information below will help answer most of your questions.

It was so, surreal, one of the biggest electronics retail store in the USA is really shutting down. One more piece of evidence to show how bad things are in the US and the world economy as businesses not only cut staff, but are also shutting down. I can just imagine all the people who will be out of a job as Circuit City is a very large chain, 567 stores in fact, with many employees. I remember they even opened a store in the Bronx while I was vacationing in New york just last summer, and now this! It's a really frightening how this economic downturn is progressing with no end in sight.

On the flip side though, if you are looking to buy some electronics and on a serious budget, as we all are, then now is the right time to buy from Circuit City. They are having liquidation sales at all of their 567 stores. hopefully I can source a deal for my camera and a new printer at one of these sales is the stores in the are of new york I normally visit haven't closed down by now.

Despite the short term apparent benefit for me with the liquidation sales, its a frightening prospect seeing such a large, seemingly strong store closing its doors and leaving so many people without their daily bread.

5 commented:

"liquidation sales" So far everyone I know that has went says the prices are still higher than buying on the Internet.

No wonder they went out of business.

Even in bankruptcy they refuse to lower their prices! Seems it will be a long liquidation.

Stunner, I was so shocked. I went to the website too to see if I could get a great deal on a new digital camera only to be met by the announcement. It is just so sad that so many people will be out of work.

I guess the company may be in severe debt. Based on the website, they are focusing on paying creditors. Tragic.

it's sad that folks will be losing jobs...but i'm excited about the new 32in hdtv i maybe acquiring. yippee!!!
they'd just opened one less than a mile from where i live in the same location of another defunct chain Tower Records. liquidation for this location may not be that long since they've also just opened a Best Buy last year 2-3 blocks away.

shit! No wonder they stopped e-mailing me...